Engineering Development Board has established Quality, Standards and Certification group. Its objectives are:
- To help out engineering sectors in identification of applicable quality systems/standards.
- To assist engineering industries to compete international markets by achieving product certification, certification mark , certification labeling with the specific focus on UL and CE Marking.
- To provide consultancy services for eliminating target Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) for global marketing.
- To provide training on MSTQ to export oriented engineering sectors.
- To announce International Training programmes on MSTQ with the collaboration of International agencies like PTB, Germany, KOICA , Korea, JICA, Japan, NIST, USA and NMI, China, SWAD, Sweden and NORAD Norway etc.
- For export oriented Engineering Products interact, collaborate and work with International Certification bodies, CE Marking /Certification Agencies and UL service providers.
- To work with PSQCA for standardization of products and or development of new standards of products of all engineering sectors and manage/ arrange meetings on engineering sub-sectors.
- To integrate Pakistan’s engineering sector with global markets by addressing quality issues identified by Sector Development Group, Policy Development Group, Business Development Group and Tariff Group; for inspections/quality of facilities of engineering industries require approval for manufacturing.
- To arrange and announce training of quality professionals of engineering sectors from abroad.
- To provide technical services to customs authorities and other engineering concerns of Govt. of Pakistan and private sectors on specification analysis of sophisticated scientific and technical instruments/ engineering systems for bulk purchases or imports.
- Publication of quality documentations of related engineering sub-sectors.
- Prepare curriculum for Industrial Metrology with the collaboration of UGC/HEC and engineering and technology colleges, universities and institutes.
In order to achieve mission as well as goals, EDB has emphasized to:
Improve Production Technologies
- Improved production technologies by tracking latest global technological trends and disseminate it to engineering industry after doing the Gap Analysis of Industries and carrying out analysis to ascertain weaknesses of indigenous industry and their technological needs and adopt best practices, environmental and quality standards etc.
- Sector wise exposure to relevant trade fairs is being studied. EDB has stressed need to give International Exposure to local engineering industry through participation in local and international exhibitions, e.g. Hannover Fair proved high water mark for local engineering industry.
EDB is focusing on formulating export oriented strategies in different sub-sectors with the objective to discuss unconventional goods for export to unconventional market.
International benchmarking in different engineering sub-sectors for productivity enhancement and technological needs.
Carrying out international market analysis in various engineering sub-sectors covering world demand, trade data analysis, tariffs, Price/brand/competition information etc.